Social Media Tutor, Journalist & Researcher
I primarily work as a freelance media tutor, designing bespoke courses for businesses, charities and schools on how they can best make use of traditional and new media.
My specialism is ‘Online and Social Media Law and Ethics’; this is a course designed to educate people about the legal & ethical risks they need to be aware of in terms of online content, digital communications and social media.
I’m currently completing a PhD, investigating teenagers’ perceptions of social media offences. I also teach Criminology, Media and Journalism students at university level.
Previously, I worked as a newsreader and reporter for a variety of radio stations on a freelance basis (including Heart FM, XFM, Smooth Radio, Eagle Radio and Premier Christian Radio) and have created broadcast content for BBC Radio London and IMG Media. I also have experience as a television reporter and producer for The Media Trust’s ‘London 360′ – a fortnightly current affairs show broadcasting on Community Channel (Sky, Virgin and Freeview).
In October 2014, I gained a full-time studentship to undertake PhD research at City University’s Centre for Law, Justice & Journalism, researching young people’s understandings of cyber-offences, including ‘sexting’ and ‘cyberbullying’ behaviours.
To find out more about my academic work, visit CityCyberResearch.com
Add me on LinkedIn: Linkedin.com/in/hollypowelljones
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Teaching and Professional Training: Designing and delivering media training for businesses and charities in a professional context, as well as running education courses for young people (ages 11-18). I am comfortable presenting to large groups as well as running smaller sessions and one-to-one training, as well as experience teaching in more traditional education environments (such as secondary schools and university).
– Journalism: A proven track record in creating high quality news content for broadcast on television and radio, and publication in print and online.
– Presenting: Confident and dynamic on-air presentation during live broadcasts and delivering both scripted and unscripted reports on location at major events.
– Interviewing: Very experienced interviewing high profile figures (including Dame Tanni Grey Thompson, grime artist Wretch 32, Secretary of State for Defence Philip Hammond and broadcaster Jon Snow), along with victims of crime, members of the public and a variety of experts and professionals.
– Editorial: Gained experience of editorial duties as the sole journalist responsible for managing the weekend news output for up to three radio stations at once, confident at making editorial decisions under pressure and delivering appropriate, brand-relevant content to deadlines.
– Technical: Highly experienced use of Burli newsroom software, audio and video digital recording equipment (H2, H4, Mirantz, iPhone) editing software (Adobe Audition/Burli/Audacity). Highly experienced using self-drive studios.
Newsreading sample (1-minute headlines):